Thursday, September 03, 2009

Take a look! It's in a book! But not on TV!

Sad news, friends: "Reading Rainbow" is ending after 26 years of read-alouds. It's found its last pot of literary gold. It's closed the back cover. It's run out of Dewey decimals. It's... ehhh that's all I got.

To be honest, I kind of forgot it was still on, but it always held a warm, nostalgic place in my heart. Plus, it helped me to make the distinction that LeVar Burton was not Geordi La Forge and he was not actually blind, but he was an actor and he liked cool books. (Many years later I would discover Roots and be further confused yet impressed by his career path.)

But most importantly, it reminded us that reading was FUN. Even though it's a bit of an oxymoron to be reading books through TV, I know I still got excited to check out kickass new picture books at the library. Sadly, my local library did not live up to all this hype:



WHOA. Did you hear that sassy librarian hit those belting notes? Also: does anyone else really want neon pink pants right now?

So: thanks LeVar and friends. Without you, I'm sure I would not be as literate as I am today (or as into "Star Trek: The Next Generation"). I'm also sure that we wouldn't have this:



But you don't have to take my word for it... :) :)

Thanks to BUST for filling me in.

No comments: