I keep trying to make some "Best Of" lists, but I really suck at it. Instead, I'll leave you with some self-centered, stream-of-consciousness thoughts about my decade and my year. Deal with it.
THOUGHTS ABOUT THE DECADE (aka THE OHs) (aka THE AUGHTS):
- The end of high school. Did I ever mention that my prom theme was "2001: A Space Odyssey"? And that it was under a circus tent and there was popcorn and cotton candy? What the crap was that about?
- I miss college dining halls because you could eat frozen yogurt and Froot Loops for breakfast and your mom couldn't care.
- I was a big dork about Brecht for a long while.
- Going to Prague for a semester was the best decision ever. I discovered gin & tonic, Egon Schiele,
Viennese coffee, and Daft Punk. And it's a nice pretentious thing to throw into conversations.
- I used to live in a giant house on Fletcher Place in Burlington, VT that we called "Sketcher Fletcher." It was freezing and usually dirty.
- Summer theatre jobs = mostly slave labor.
- Living in London for six months is tied as "best decision ever." I would move back there in a heartbeat.
- I've only lived in NYC for about 2.7 years and I've already lived in three different boroughs.
- Discovering UCB and the people within it has been the perfect boost I needed to make me feel like I finally belong in this city.
- I can't listen to Pretty & Nice and not dance.
THOUGHTS ABOUT THE YEAR 2009:
- Thank all the gods and all the stars that I no longer live in Brooklyn with crazypants.
- Blonde Redhead is never quite as good live as you want them to be.
- Biking in Astoria really isn't so terrifying. Manhattan probably is though.
- I have so many un-listened-to podcasts and so little time.
- I will never stop loving the Dooce.
- Long-form improv is probably not as hard as my brain is trying to make it.
- Deerhoof and Ted Leo are always good live.
- I am turning into a horrible compulsive shopper.
- Hip hop class always makes me feel better.
- Oh my gosh, beets and radishes are actually pretty tasty!
- I'm so glad I still listen to David Bowie (every day).
Just a heads up, I'm totally going to refer to 2010 as "oh ten." Don't try and correct me.
HAPPY NEW YEAR, BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!